After 5 years and following the Secretary of State’s Sunrise Report on the need for a residential contractor registry in Vermont, it has become law. To read the full extent of the Statute please go to sos.vermont.gov
Key points with this bill for contractors and homeowners are:
- All aspects of the law begin April 1, 2023
- Registration for contractors began on December 1, 2022, required by April 1, 2023 and with a reduced fee for early registrants
- Registration is required for individuals or companies doing working over $10,000 (time and materials) and work must be accompanied by a contract – not an estimate’
- Registration must include evidence of insurance as defined by the Statute
- Homeowners can check to see if contractors are registered.
- Voluntary certification of ongoing learning is encouraged and will be posted