Mentoring Skills to Develop and Retain Your Workforce
This course is about learning the approach and skills of leading as separate from managing. Both are important skills in bringing successful completion to a project, but leadership skills at the crew leader level oftentimes are secondary to project management skills. Yet they are confronted with issues of: “How do you convey your commitment of high expectations?”, “How do you emphasize the importance of ongoing learning in the face of climate change?”, “How do you give performance feedback and not compromise the motivation of the employee?”, “How do you create a culture of respect given the presence of a divergent workforce (women and LGBTQ)?” These are leadership issues and successful skills increase employee retention and development.
This is a 2-part course covered in 2 four hour sessions.
- Distinction between leading and managing
- The importance of “Grit”
- Leadership style relative to the capability of the employee
- Leading by asking the question (closed ended, open ended, and summarizing)
- Socratic questioning
- Giving performance feedback
- Problem Solving skills – finding the root cause
Crew leaders will:
- Integrate their leading and managing skills and recognize the importance of authenticity
- Apply the leadership style required in the moment
- Apply the appropriate questioning skills for the issue at hand
- Apply Socratic questioning skills for employee development
- Prepare the new employee for the culture and expectations of the business
- Become comfortable in giving constructive and positive feedback
- Recognize the importance of root cause analysis and the cycle of PDCA
Instructor: Guy Payne
Guy is an accomplished trainer in leadership training. Prior to moving to Vermont in 1995 he designed, and delivered management training to corporate leaders in many Fortune 500 companies. In Vermont he was the Human Resource Director for Fab-Tech in Colchester, Vermont Tech’s outreach coordinator for employee development in SE Vermont, principle leadership trainer in Southern Vermont for Action to Excellence, and currently Executive Director of the Sustainable Energy Outreach Network (SEON) since 2012.
- $200 (SEON Member)
- $200 (SEON Member)
If you are interested in scheduling a class with us, please contact Guy Payne: email@example.com