As some of you already know, Governor Scott signed into law the requirement for residential building contractors to register with the state. The application process for contractors began December 1st with a minimal registration fee till March 31st. By State statute, the requirement of the statute begins April 1, 2023. Please go to https://sos.vermont.gov/residential-contractors/ to learn about the bill and its requirements.
Key to this requirement includes:
- If a contractor agrees to a project (time and materials) over $10,000 they must be registered with the Office Of Professional Regulation
- Project work over $10,000 must be accompanied with a contract
- Registry must demonstrate insurance coverage as defined in the statute
- Homeowners can see if a contractor is registered
- The statute encourages voluntary certification of professional development which homeowners will be able to determine.
Photo credit: Nick Fewings